Helping You When You Need It Most

Family Law


Divorce is typically a painful process for all concerned. You are going to have many difficult questions about your divorce, children, finances, how to pay for it, separation, custody, and more, the good news is you are not alone. Mr. Jackson is a very experienced Family law attorney and knows that any type of divorce requires tough decisions to be made. We will protect your interests and provide you the help and support you need in such a difficult time.

Contested vs. Uncontested

A contested divorce occurs when both parties (the Husband and Wife) cannot agree on property division, child custody, child support, debt division or settlement. A party hires an attorney to represent his/her best interests and files a Complaint for Divorce; this person is considered the “Plaintiff”. The other party is then served with the Complaint for Divorce and has only a limited amount of time to respond, this person is considered the “Defendant”. The Defendant may choose to attempt to represent his or herself, however this is not recommended. In most situations the Defendant will hire an attorney to represent his/her interests. Contested divorces can be complex, long and expensive.

An uncontested divorce occurs when the Husband and Wife have come to an agreement as to property division, debt division, child custody and/or child support. This is the easier and quickest type of divorce proceeding. Either person can hire an attorney to draft the necessary documents to be filed with the Court. After the documents have been drafted, both parties will come into the attorney’s office, review the documents and sign before a Notary Public. The documents are then sent to the County Courthouse to be signed by the presiding Circuit Judge. After the Circuit Judge has signed the divorce documents granting the parties a :Judgment of Divorce" or "Divorce Decree" the parties will receive their own copy.

If you do not know where your spouse is and are unable to contact him or her there may be other options available. This depends on your situation. For more information you will need to contact an attorney to see which options are available for you.

Child Custody/Support/Visitation

Petitions for Child Custody, Support and Visitation are filed when people who are not married but have a child together need to establish Child Support, Custody and/or Visitation. This too can be contested or uncontested. If both parental parents agree on child custody, support and visitation agreement the process goes quite easily and quickly as an Uncontested Divorce. However, if both parents are unable to agree on custody, visitation and support the process is similar as to a contested divorce.

For more information about Child Custody, Support and Visitation please feel free to contact our office and we will be glad to answer any questions for you.

Get In Touch

Alan Jackson Law Office
452 Hwy 431
Boaz . AL 35957

Contact Us


No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.